September 16, 2009

Simple and Delicious Salmon Cakes

I like to eat salmon. I think it’s fulfilling, has great flavor, and is packed with good stuff like Omega 3 fatty acids and protein. The thing is, sometimes I run out of ideas to make with it. And as great as anything is, after awhile I get bored. I’ve done mustard marinade, crusting it with roasted edamame, poaching, frying, baking…you name it, I’ve tried it with salmon.

Today I wanted to make salmon but was troubled with how to make it different, and suddenly while standing in the middle of my tiny kitchen, I had a revelation. Salmon cakes! Maybe I’ll try making salmon cakes!


After browsing through a couple of recipes on the internet and utilizing what I had at home, I think I successfully made a quite tasty (and simple) salmon cake recipe. I used Rachel Ray’s recipe as a guideline, but I think my recipe is fairly different in terms of ingredients. I used very simple ingredients to try to complement the taste of salmon. Just white onions, green onions, and garlic powder, some salt and pepper and that’s it.

Of course I also used eggs and bread crumbs for the binding agent, but I think that’s pretty simple. If I had dill, I probably would have used dill but I had to do without. I cooked the salmon cakes on each side for about 5 minutes which may have been too long. I would cut it down to maybe 3 or 4 minutes. I also made a very simple mayo sauce to go with it.

Simply Delicious Salmon Cakes
2 salmon filets (about 6 ounces each)
Half an onion chopped
2 green onions chopped
2 eggs
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp garlic powder

Fry salmon filets then flake with fork. Let cool.
Combined bread crumbs, eggs, all onions, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Pat into round cakes about 3 inches in diameter and about ½ inch thick.
Fry on medium heat in some oil for approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. This makes about 6 cakes.

Mayo Sauce
½ cup mayonnaise
1 Tbs chopped capers
Juice of one lime
1 tsp chili powder
Combine all ingredients and serve.

It’s that simple! I served the cakes along with Italian style potato salad and a simple green salad with red wine vinaigrette.

0 comments:

Post a Comment