October 7, 2009

Zucchini Zucchini: Another Soup Recipe



Zucchinis are one of those things that I think are just okay. I don’t love them (unless they’re fried) but I buy them anyways. I’m not sure why, but to me they always seem to have looked better sitting in the store than in my fridge. Well I had a couple of zucchinis sitting in the fridge a few days past my comfort zone so I decided to finally use them. I didn’t feel like making a whole meal today so I went for the good ole soup making instead. I love making soup because they’re quick, easy and very inexpensive. This soup took me about 20 minutes. I added a tiny bit of Madras curry powder for a little more depth and flavor (don’t worry it won’t taste like curry at all). The soup basically consists of just zucchinis, chicken broth, some milk, and the usual onions and garlic. That’s about it!

Zucchini Soup

2 zucchinis
1 can chicken broth (14 ounces)
½ cup milk
1 Tbs butter
Half of a medium onion (chopped)
2 cloves of garlic minced
½ tsp Madras curry powder
2 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper

In a medium pot melt butter and add garlic and onions. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and stir the onions and garlic. Let the onions and garlic cook for a few minutes. Meanwhile cut the zucchini into little pieces. After the onions become translucent add the zucchini and stir. Add the curry powder and give the zucchini another stir to mix up the curry powder. Cook the zucchini for a few minutes until they begin to soften. Add the chicken broth, turn up the heat and cover lid and bring soup to a boil. Once it starts boiling, turn heat to low to allow the soup to simmer for about 5 more minutes. Taste the soup to see if it needs more salt and pepper. Turn off the heat, add the milk, and stir. Blend with an immersion blender or standing blender. Top with Parmesan cheese. Makes about 3 servings

0 comments:

Post a Comment