September 27, 2009

Pizza dough, conquered.



I took my first attempt at pizza dough today. I came, I saw, and I conquered! Okay maybe I didn’t conquer pizza dough, but I do think the pizza turned out fantastic for my first time at dough. I can’t take all the credit though. I actually got the recipe from Deb at the Smitten Kitchen. The recipe makes for a small pizza (perfect for two hungry people). I topped my pizza with store bought marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, caramelized onions, sautéed sausages, and fresh basil. I baked the pizza at 350 degrees F for 11 minutes. It didn’t turn out crispy so next time I might try to figure out how to make it crispy. But it was still absolutely delectable!



Super Easy Pizza Dough
1 ½ cup flour
1 Tsp salt
¾ Tsp instant yeast
½ cup warm water
1 Tbs olive oil

Mix all dry ingredients. Add water, stir a bit then add oil and finish mixing the dough. Put dough on a floured surface and knead by pressing down and outwards on the dough. Pull the dough back to the center and knead again. Continue for about 2 minutes then put in an oiled bowl making sure to cover the dough with oil. I used Smitten Kitchen’s tip by using cooking spray to oil the bowl and it worked wonderfully. Seal bowl with cling wrap and let sit for about 2 hours.

After two hours the dough will rise. Seeing that my dough actually had risen, was really exciting to me =) After your dough doubles in size, plop the dough back on to the floured surface and push the air out of the dough. Roll the dough back into a ball and let sit for another 20-25 minutes. Now roll you dough out directly on the baking sheet and put on toppings. If you can’t roll you dough directly onto the baking sheet for whatever reason, roll the dough out onto a floured surface. To transfer to the baking sheet, wrap the dough around your rolling pin, transfer the pin to the baking sheet and slowly roll out the dough from the pin directly onto the sheet. THEN add your toppings. Bake at 350 degrees F for 11 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment