September 29, 2009

Perfect Timing for a Peach Tart



Happy birthday to me! Well, early birthday. Nhat and I went to Best Buy today to buy a new laptop charger for his laptop and he (it was ALLL his idea) decided that we should look at digital cameras (since I’ve been wanting a new one for a while now). I had my mind set on the Canon Powershot SD780 IS for its size and picture quality. I didn’t want to get too fancy on the cameras as I am not a professional and we are not in the position to splurge. But as I was checking out the SD780, Nhat pointed out the Canon Powershot SX20 and the Canon Powershot SX120. I soon forgot about the SD780. I looked at both of the cameras he pointed out and fell in love…with the cameras ;). I took lots of pictures, tried out their zoom, and decided that the Powershot SX120 would be the best match for me. So here we are. Me and the lovely Canon Powershot SX120, ready for many new happy memories together. I haven’t posted any pictures from it because I’m still learning my way around it. But hopefully by the next blog I’ll have some up.

Now, back to what we’re here for…FOOD.

I baked my very first tart today! I know fall already started but the weather still feels…felt so summery. I wanted to make a peach tart before I was really too late into the season. Something inside me told me today may be my last chance this year to make a peach tart and still be seasonally correct. As I absorbed myself into tart making, the sun was shining, the skies were blue, and the weather was mild.

The tart came out better than I imagined. But probably because of temperature differences in my oven, the tart was a little too burnt on top and the peaches didn’t caramelized as nice as I hoped. I put the tart into the 400 degree oven for 40 minutes as instructed, but half way in, I checked on my tart and saw that it was burning at the top so I took it out 20 minutes early. It wasn’t all terrible. The crust actually came out amazingly well, sans the burnt parts. I was a little anxious because I changed the recipe I got in The Foodie Handbook by Pim. She used more flour and 2 sticks of butter. Without sounding like a health nut (which I’m really not), I just wanted to use 1 stick of butter. I adjusted the recipe accordingly and just prayed for the best. My crust came out wonderfully: light, flakey and as tasty as I could have hoped for. I think next time I will bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes and see how that goes. And just as I finished my tart, ironically enough, I looked outside and skies turned gray, almost as if it was going to rain, clouds filled the skies, and I knew I made the peach tart just in time.

I’m not going to post the recipe yet because I still want to try it again and get the temperature right. In the mean time you can enjoy (or not) the few photos I have of my very first peach tart.

0 comments:

Post a Comment