October 25, 2009

Shrimp Fried Rice


How do you like your fried rice? Nhat likes his super fried, to the point where it's almost crispy. I like mine soft and not so fried. Yesterday I made fried rice and as much as I believe in compromise in a relationship, I can not stand rice that is too fried. So there is no extra fried rice here. However, if you want your fried rice more fried, just turn up the heat and cook for a bit longer. Here's my rendition of shrimp fried rice. I added "gio" pronounced: yar. Gio is basically pork meat thats been super ground and compressed together. It's a very good thing to have around when you want to add some protein to a noodle, rice, or sandwich recipe.

This is the second successful dish I learned to make. The first being mash potatoes. =) If you like more flavor in your fried rice, you can add more seasonings. I like my fried rice rather simple with just the taste of fish sauce and some salt and pepper. I also added some Sriracha sauce separately in my bowl at the end.

Shrimp Fried Rice makes 6 servings
2 cups of uncooked rice
13-15 shrimps peeled and devein
2 eggs
1-2 cups of frozen vegetables
2 Tbs of fish sauce
2 tsp of minced garlic
Salt and Pepper
Oil
1 tsp of garlic powder (optional)
1 cup of chopped Gio (optional)

Cook the rice and let sit in the fridge for a bit. I don't care too much for this step because I actually kind of like my rice a little moist and plump. In a large skillet over medium heat add about 1 tbs of oil. Add garlic, frozen veggies and gio.


Season lightly with salt and pepper (you can always add more later if you like) and let cook for a few minutes until the gio starts browning. Add rice and with your spatula mix rice around and loose the clumps of rice. Add 1 Tbs of fish sauce and continuing stirring the rice. Add garlic powder. Then add eggs and quickly stirr to mix the eggs all through the rice. Add another tablespoon of fishsauce. If needs more salt you can add more salt and pepper. Add shrimp and continue cooking untill shrimps are cooked thouroughly.



0 comments:

Post a Comment