October 5, 2009

Starting off the week with White Bean and Garlic Soup



After a weekend of heavy eating and drinking, I felt soup would be the perfect thing to sort of detoxify from the weekend and kick off another week. After watching Giada De Laurentiis make Tuscan White Bean and Garlic Soup a while back, I now always have cans of white beans and chicken broth in my pantry for days when I want a quick simple and healthy meal. I adapted the recipe to ingredients that I usually have, as a result I substitute cream for milk so my soup will be not as thick. I also used some dried chopped bay leaves instead of sage leaves (I’ve been meaning to get some sage leaves, I just always forget when I’m out shopping). Regardless, the flavors are still wonderful and comforting. I drizzled some of the white truffle oil I bought from this weekend over the soup and it complemented the soup very nicely. This soup seriously takes me less than 20 minutes to make. Serve the soup with toasted bread and let yourself melt into the comfort of a warm soup.


White Bean and Garlic Soup
adapted from Giada De Laurentiis Tuscan White Bean and Garlic Soup

1 can of white beans (15 ounces)
1 can of chicken broth (14 ounces)
1 Tbs minced garlic (more or less to your preference)
1 Tsp dried chopped bay leaves (or 1 bay leaf)
¼ cup milk
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp of olive oil

Drain and rinse beans in a colander. In a medium size pot heat olive oil then throw in the minced garlic. Let the garlic cook for a bit to release its flavors but not turn brown. Add the beans and stir for about 30 seconds. Add chicken broth, bay leaves and stir. Cover lid and let soup come to a boil then lower heat to medium low. Taste and add pepper and salt if necessary. Give it another quick stir and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add milk, stir then turn off heat. Blend using immersion blender or if using standing blender then remember to not completely cover lid as the heat will cause pressure to accumulate and will cause soup to splatter when lid is removed! Serve with toasted bread. Makes two servings.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete