October 5, 2009

Grape Harvest Festival…But where are the festivities?!




This weekend was quite an eventful weekend. From a wine and cheese party to a grape harvest festival, it was a food lover’s dream. Unfortunately the later wasn’t as enjoyable as the former so I won’t bore you with too many details. You would think a grape harvest festival would have more food related festivities on schedule, but there was not much of anything that appealed to even the simplest of food lovers, Nhat. If he wasn’t excited by anything there, then you know darn well not to expect anything great. There was not much more than a few random vendors trying to sell you their products (non-food related products). Not to say that they can’t be there, just that there were more random non-food/produce vendors than anything else. It’s a good thing the admission’s fee was only $1.


To be fair, the festival wasn’t completely devoid of all food vendors, as you can see from some of the pictures.  There were the usual food stands that you can find at any fair-like event which included a fried foods stand, a barbecue stand, Mediterranean ...etc, all typical: overpriced and nothing special. The only highlight from this event was watching a grape stomping (which I’ve never seen before) and buying some gourmet olive oils and balsamic vinegars from Bistro Blends in Napa Valley (oohh how I long to be back in Northern California again). Nhat also picked himself a little treat, a bottle of Chipotle Chile BBQ Sauce.

We salvaged the rest of our Sunday by hitting the outdoor mall nearby and finding great deals on clothing for the quickly approaching colder weather. And…last but not least, I found myself inside my happy place, Williams-Sonoma. Of course their stuff is much too expensive for me at this time so I was just wishfully browsing. I did however, leave with 14.95 microplane grater. And by leaving with it, I do not mean I “left with it”. I mean I first paid for it and then left with it. =)

As you can see I ripped into the White Truffle Oil right away to see how it smelled like.  I've never had truffles before so i'm not sure how its suppose to smell or taste.  From what I've researched, truffles are suppose to have an earthy taste and stinky smell, but its flavors are suppose to greatly enhance the flavors of many dishes. When I smelt the oil there was a very slight subtle earthiness and it acutally smelled really nice, but it might be because the truffles were in the oil form.  Whatever the case, I'm excited to use it and see what I can do with it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment