October 1, 2009

Tzatziki: A recipe easier to make than to spell!




I picked up some Greek yogurt when I went to the grand opening of Fresh & Easy a few days ago. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with it, I just have always wanted to buy it but never really got around to it. The perfect opportunity arose while I was browsing around the store, trying to reach the $10 limit so that I can earn a free canvas bag (it was a grand opening special the store was having: spend $10 and get a free canvas bag). I picked up a few yogurts, saw the Greek yogurt and thought, eh why not.

So there it sat in my fridge, without a plan in the world. At least not until Nhat came back from school and saw it. Tzatziki sauce and Kofta kabobs! He suggested with so much zeal in his voice and eagerness in his eyes that it was quite hard for me to do otherwise. I knew Tzatziki was basically made with Greek yogurt and cucumbers, but I didn’t know the specifics. I studied various recipes on the internet and found the recipe written by Michael Chu, Anghelika’s Tsatsiki, the most appealing. I changed it a bit with my own preferences and I think it turned out really well. I served the sauce along side Kofta Kabobs (recipe to come later) and white rice. Delish!

Tzatziki Sauce

8oz Greek Yogurt
Half cucumber
Half lemon (about 1 Tbs)
½ tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp grated or mashed garlic
1 Tbs olive oil
Paprika for garnish
pinch salt

Cut the cucumber in half length wise then take out the seeds with a spoon. Grate the cucumber. With your hands, squeeze out the excess water in the cucumber and discard water. In a small bowl, combine and mix all the ingredients except for the yogurt and cucumber. Add cucumber and lemon mixture to yogurt and gently fold through the yogurt to incorporate all ingredients. Refrigerate the Tzatziki for AT LEAST 1 hour. Refrigeration is a critical step. This give the sauce time to let all the flavors release in to the yogurt. If you skip this step the sauce will just taste like yogurt. Sprinkle some paprika over the top as garnish before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment